May 9, 2012

Met Gala Ball: Prada

It's the most wonderful time of the year! It's not exactly Christmas, but there are numerous gifts abound, fashion gifts that is. My favourite time of the year, is the most fashionably forward time, the Met Ball, aka the fashion industry's "Oscar's." Where you see a handful of pretty dresses, a slew of wacky ensembles and industry insiders and celebrities alike remind us that fashion is art. It's the theme and fashion interpretation and the risk-taking that I love best about this night, and it happened Monday night at the Metropolitan Museum Costume Institute's in NYC. This year's theme honours legendary designers Elsa Schiaparelli and Miuccia Prada, with the Met's new exhibition, "Impossible Conversations." I've never been much of a Prada fan, I just never understood the cult following the line received, but I was certainly interested to see who may wear some vintage Schiaparelli, which the line is celebrating a re-launch.

Vogue's EIC Anna Wintour was the evening's hostess and the only person to don an Elsa Schiareparelli-inspired dress, designed by Prada featuring a magnificent lobster detailing. It mixes both quirky and glamorous.

Last year's host, Met Gala chairwoman and newlywed Carey Mulligan wore a silver and gold pailette-covered Prada halter dress, which shines and dazzles from every angle. Looks like I may be taking a turn to Prada fan?

Another Prada wearing celebrity, was fashion favourite, Diane Kruger who looks phenomenally effortless in this ostrich feather-trimmed, crepe silk chiffon, royal purple v-neck spaghetti strapped gown. We are on a Prada-loving roll!

The Prada and ostrich feather love continued with Kate Bosworth in this flirty ombre mini, granted her spray tan and two-tone skin is a bit distracting, but that's not Prada's fault. I also love the matching dark lip and her bun doesn't compete with the dress... which probably ended up a sun-loving orange by the end of the night, seriously she looks as if she bathed in carrots! Moving on..

Jessica Biel arrived with her fiance Justin Timberlake in a satin, ill-hemmed Prada gown. Besides the hem and the length I like the dress, and the emerald jewel detailing, yet another win in the Prada department.

And then this happened. Gwyneth Paltrow showed off an excessive amount of skin, baring both her legs (which granted are incredible) back and sideboob in what is essentially a satin Prada apron. Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not prudish when it comes to showing off a little skin, and I'm a big fan of a little side-boob, but pick one body part, maybe two, three max! Also this dress resembles an unfinished Project Runway entry. Not something you'd expect from a designer who's being honoured at such an event.

Here's the Prada I know and loathe; structured satin with hideous and often confusing detailing. I'd like to thank Eva Mendes for reminding me why I've never claimed to be a Prada enthusiast. In case I ever get questioned again (and I will), I can direct my inquisitors to this photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails