Jan 15, 2012

Golden Globes: Take One

The Golden Globes aired last night, January 15th, 2012 and while I was trying my best to take it all in, and anticipating Ricky Gervais really funny moment (which although I chuckled more than the audience, it never actually came) there were a few fashion choices that had caught my immediate interest on the red carpet and stage presentations.

Nicole Richie was the first person to walk the red carpet that really stood out for me, but that wasn't entirely due to her silver Julian MacDonald gown. Granted, I really like the entire look, it's a nice tweak off her usually bohemian style, and the clutch from her own line, House of Harlow was a nice addition; what really stood out to me was the awkward hug and compliments she paid to the woman (whose name I've forgotten) "interviewing" her. I'm also not certain how I feel about her shouting out Suave Professionals for doing her hair. Yes, fashion is from head to toe, but it seemed a little more like paid product placement than genuine appreciation.

Next up is the quirky Zooey Deschanel and star of the hilarious new comedy, New Girl, in a hideously tacky custom black satin, open-back Prada gown with lime green and black glass pearls covering the bodice. Love the girl, hate the dress. Perhaps another colour would have been more flattering? Then again it's hard to look at the dress, when she's sporting such campy hair and makeup, a similar mistake as Jennifer Lopez at the Oscars in 2002, if the bouffant didn't work for J.Lo, it's not gonna work for you. (Although with that said, if we had to choose the lesser of the two evils, Zooey wins.)

I took immediate notice of Sarah Michelle Gellar blue watercolour, printed Monique Lhuillier gown, but my definite opinion of it was not made until I had enough time to really think and contemplate the gown. I gown that makes you ponder... now that's fashion! Between the smokey print and voluminous layers, it was hard not to. It also should be noted that the Ringer actress claimed her 2 year old daughter chose the dress for her. Take that Suri and mini-Victoria Beckham!

Freida Pinto, yet another Prada victim, had me dangerously close to causing permanent wrinkles as I scrunched up my face in confusion about what she had put on her body. Such a beautiful girl and such a ugly, shapeless dress.

As for a breath of fresh, structured air, Homeland actress Claire Danes wore a black and white J. Mendel Couture gown, with embroidered cap sleeves and an open back, which Claire worked!

Although I'm not envious of the visible nipple protrusions, I'm a wee bit jealous of girls who do not need to wear bras, thus can pull off such a sexy way to show off some skin.

Another incredible standout was Emma Stone in a custom-made plum tulle Lanvin Roman inspired gown, with military inspired embroidered shoulders and a giant crystal eagle belt buckle. She looked like the Roman Goddess Venus, after a vacationing in Texas, and I love it! Every thing's bigger in Texas!

Photo Credit: Wireimage

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails