Nov 24, 2011

Watch the Throne Live in TO


Tonight appears to be an important night in Toronto, as people are scrambling about the city (Internet) trying to sell and purchase tickets to this possibly once-in-lifetime event. Jay-Z and Kanye West have taken their Watch the Throne tour to the ACC and you can experience this musical enterprise ...... for a low cost of 300$?!?!?! Seriously, 300$ guys? Add another headliner and then I'll understand, it'll be like 100$ an artist, but I'm finding 300$ for 90 minutes of music a bit of a stretch especially in today's crumbled economy. Granted, yes I paid that for Madonna, but that was Madonna! I've loved her since I was 6!

Pause.

I wrote that first paragraph yesterday, and for reasons I now understand, I was compelled to begin scrambling for my own ticket. Which I found, with a great section, seat, row, etc, which equaled an incredible view of Jay-Z as the duo performed on separate stages for "H.A.M." They stayed staggered between the arena for the first three songs, and came together as Jay-Z ran past me to get to the main stage for "Otis." I was already feeling incredibly grateful. Then the two performed more Watch the Throne tracks including the Swizz Beatz produced "Welcome to the Jungle" and then all hell broke lose and we received renditions of "Jesus Walks," "N*gga What, N*gga Who," "Izzo (H.O.V.A.)," "Flashing Lights," then we got a solo Kanye show! Kanye performed "All Falls Down" and "Diamonds are Forever." Jigga returned for more Watch the Throne Material, then he had his own solo moments, which at this moment I had decided that 300$ for a ticket was more than fair! They continued another round of Watch the Throne and 2 more solo sets, which included favourites like "Power," "Monster," "Made it in America," "New Day" where Jay-Z had a moment full of emotion as he spoke of his future child,
So at 13 we’ll have our first drink together

Black bar mitzvahs, mazel tov, mogul talk
Look a man dead in his eyes so he know you talk truth
When you speak it, give your word, keep it
And if the day comes I only see him on the weekend
I just pray we was in love on the night that we conceived him
Promise to never leave him even if his mama tweakin’
Cause my dad left me and I promise never repeat him

Jay-Z thanked the crowd "for that moment" and followed it up with "Hard Knock Life," and "Empire State of Mind."

Kanye had a moment of his own while performing "Runaway,"
Love ain't gonna be easy, especially in er'body in your business like Yeezy/
But please ladies stop checking emails, cuz God invented emails so we could get away with shit/
If you love somebody tonight, hold on real tight/
If I say I don't like the shoes that you're wearing, don't listen to me baby cuz I'm an asshole/
And if i said I didn't love you... I was lying.
You can only imagine who that was directed to. He followed the song up perfectly with "Heartless," which the crowd finished the last verse in unison and it brought the biggest, most genuine smile to Ye's face.

More classic material, "On to the Next One," "Dirt off your Shoulder," "I Just Wanna Love You," "Big Pimpin," "Touch the Sky," "All of the Lights," "Golddigger," "99 Problems" the list goes on. They ended the set with "N*ggas in Paris" and even returned with it for their encore performance. And the crowd wiled out! I worked up a sweat dancing my ass off for the 2 and half hour performance.

And I'm considering doing it again tonight! 

1 comment:

  1. We should go it again tonite. I need to experience this once in a lifetime ordeal!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails