Sep 30, 2011

NBA Lockout Continues

And it's really starting to freak me out! Now before men start drooling that I'm not only feminine but also some crazy sports fan, let me be the first to tell you, I'm not. There are only two sports I am interested in watching on TV and one is beach volleyball, which I haven't actually caught a full game in years, and the other is basketball. I'm not sure what it was about basketball that initially drew my attention, perhaps it was the favoured sport of a boy I liked when I was 11, or maybe it's that I have a weakness for tall men (aka the players), either way I enjoy it, I cheer, I shout, I've hit the people sitting next to me (by sheer reflex) and I look forward to the start of the season. Unfortunately that season is presently being threatened by an unnecessary lockout, while the two sides: NBA commission David Stern and the union president, LA Laker Point Guard Derek Fisher argue over salary caps.

The two sides are meeting again today, along with the owners, the 11-member Labor Relations Committee, and the union's Executive Committee; they've also opened up the meeting to any other owners or players who wish to attend, stating that this possible season delay will affect both sides. It is expected, by the end of the weekend, that it will be known whether or not the NBA will have to postpone or cancel regular-season games which was slated to begin November 1st. This will only be the second time in NBA history the league will be forced to cancel part of its schedule, the first being in 1998 due to a six-month long lockout cut the season to a mere 50 games! Pre-season games have already been cancelled, and as of last Friday as was the opening week.
"If we can't find a way to get some common ground really, really soon, then the time of starting the regular season at its scheduled date is going to be in jeopardy big-time."
Tell em Fish! I just want to see my boys play! I miss them, and I've got my teams picked and I'm ready to go! At least I was able to catch the ridiculously handsome Dwyane Wade on Jimmy Fallon last night... Shows better start slotting a different player for every day, so that I can get my fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails