Jan 19, 2011

Golden Globes - Natural Girls

One of the other major trends I noticed on the 2011 Golden Globes Red Carpet, besides the Sea of Green, were all the neutral toned gown. The trend was particularly noted on two (possible) media rivals;

Scarlett Johansson's pale peach Elie Saab gown was soft and romantic with it's embroidery and floral appliqués, but with her makeup and that hair (oh that hair) she looked a good 15 years older. The sleeves do not help either, normally you don't start to hide your arms until after 40. Under regular circumstances, I'd probably love this, but I really think she looks horrible.. again though that could be thanks to that hair. Let's focus in,

So she separates from her hunky hubby, Ryan Reynolds and decides to vie for Frankenstein's eye? Great move there ScarJo, isn't the rule after a breakup is to go out looking as hot as humanly possible? Doped up Bride of Frankenstein is not exactly cutting it.

But not to worry Scarlett! Sandra Bullock (Ryan's rumoured new love interest) had horrible hair too! Maybe we should blame this on Ryan? Sounds good to me! From now on whenever I have a bad hair day, I'm blaming my ex! Horrible clip in fringe aside, I really liked her pale pink, crystal encrusted Jenny Packham gown, but she did it a horrible disservice. She needed a romantic updo with such a dress, going so sleek and modern makes the gown come off looking sloppy.

Take a lesson from Leighton ladies. She did vintage-looking romance with appropriate hair but kept it modern and edgy with suede, jewelled Jimmy Choo platforms and a Louis Vuitton tassel minaudière. I'm a sucker for romance and am in love with this nude, printed Burberry Prorsum dress.

Modern Family's Sarah Hyland also successfully pulled off the neutral look in beige, strapless Max Azria Atelier gown. The sweetheart neckline and lace bodice really upped the romance factor and Mikimoto necklace, updo (and bangs) brought a lot of attention to her pretty face.

Glee's Dianna Agron looked lovely and sophisticated in a strapless beige, pleated silk chiffon J. Mendel beaded gown. The Veronica Lake waves were a perfect compliment to the dress and her face (take note Reynold's victims!).

Another Glee actress opted for a sophisticated neutral dress. Heather Morris' gold, beaded Lorena Sarbu was simple perfection, similar to her character...

I can not decide what exactly it is I feel for Kaley Cuoco's pale peach, tiered, strapless Katharine Kidd gown, perhaps its the trim that's throwing me off, or the way the colour really washes her out. It reminds me of Drew Barrymore's 2010 SAG Monique Lhuillier gown, which I quite enjoyed, but this... Sigh. It's just blah.

I usually love Carrie Underwood's Red Carpet choices, but I find her crystal encrusted neutral-toned Badgley Mischka Couture strapless gown so incredibly dull. Pretty, sure, but boring. And since I'm on a hair critique roll, I hate the pageant french twist, also completely unimaginative. Yawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails