Jan 24, 2011

Golden Globe Favourites

Emma Stone was one of my favourites on the Golden Globe Red Carpet, for multiple reasons. First, I loved the unexpected colour of her floor length, cap sleeve coral Calvin Klein Collection gown, second I love that the backless gown was simple and conservative, yet was still sexy thanks to the (almost) flesh tone and form fit. Also, I am a fan of her new blonde do, the shade is perfect, in fact it almost makes me regret going dark! She looks great. As a side and related note, now may be a good time to confess my girl crush on the raspy-voiced Easy "A" actress; but I'm not confessing any bias!

The first dress I took note of for the evening was Girl Crush Olivia Wilde in a strapless, gold sequined embroidered, chocolate Marchesa ball gown. Somehow, although she's sporting a similar style as Sandra Bullock, I do not hate her hair; Yes I think I'd prefer it better styled differently but she's still working the event without hiding under her bangs. But let's forget what's at the top...

Let's talk about the shoes..."The shoes. The shoes? It's gotta be the shoes!" I swear I haven't seen anything this amazing since Alexander McQueen's "Titanic Ballet Pump" in 2009. These Christian Louboutin "Bridget's Back" gold studded ankle boots would look great with a mini or a pair of jeans, and are a shocking compliment to this gown. Well done Olivia.

Ever since her breakup with fraudulent Italian Businessman Raffaello Follieri Anne Hathaway has been looking great! Way to get that breakup revenge! I love this muted bronze Armani Privé gown, she resembles what Daryl Hannah's character in Splash would look like if she starred in Dynasty. The entire gown is made of Swarovski crystal paillettes, but the exaggerated shoulders are really what makes the statement. Like Emma Stone in her virtually-full-coverage Calvin Klein, Anne uses an open back to subtly exude sex appeal.

For anyone that knows me, Jennifer Lopez being on my list is a bit of a shocker, but I actually really appreciate her white silk chiffon Zuhair Murad dress. I usually complain that JLo dresses like an elderly Hollywood star, and while this could easily fall under that category, thanks to the crystal-trimmed, tulle capelet, that is my favourite part.

There isn't much I can say about Kyra Sedgwick's mustard Emilio Pucci gown, except that it looks great on her, it's little out of season and clashes with the Red Carpet, but she still looks exceptional in it.

Glee actress, Amber Riley really worked her curves in a shimmery, encrusted, pewter Oliver Tolentino asymmetrical, belted mermaid dress.

News Corp Chairman Rupert Murdoch's wife, Wendy Murdoch, looked like a walking Disco ball. Which I'm forever a fan of.


Clearly Christina Aguilera's Golden Globes choice was inspired by her recent role in Burlesque, which I never got to see, since it was apparently a box-office disappointment and didn't last as long as I had expected in theatres. Disappointing. What isn't disappointing is her black lace, strapless Zuhair Murad Couture gown. Besides disco balls, I've been a long time obsessor (not really a word) of lace, especially black lace over nude lining. I want this dress as a shoe, it used to exist, I'm sure it will again... but I digress. The dress is great, the hair is lackluster. I see where she was going with it, but fell short in execution.

No shocker that Sofia Vergara looked incredibly sexy at the Golden Globes, she also looked thinner than usual. Fortunately, she's still retained her best assets, that were accentuated by a belted, red satin Vera Wang corseted mermaid gown.

Remember when wearing sweater sets with ball gowns was all the rage on the red carpet? I'm certain Gwyneth Paltrow did it one year, well the Tilda Swinton is bringing it back with the help of her Jil Sander button up and skirt. I love how she plays with fashion, and knows how to work everything from the everyday to the absurd.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails