Oct 25, 2010

So You Think You Can Dance Canada Winner!

Congratulations to Denys Drozdyuk, the Ukrainian-born winner of Season 3 of So You Think You Can Dance Canada. He's a great talent, with a very dry and reserved personality, that I actually found charming myself, I am shocked however that the Canadian nation felt the same. Actually, I shouldn't be that surprised, we are Canadians, we're a dry bunch. The American population would probably not have warmed up to Denys, and he would have been voted off weeks ago, so I guess it's a good thing he left NY after graduating Julliard to audition for Canada's SYTYCD season instead of the US.

I admit, I was disappoint to see Danielle and Mackenzie leave, since they were my two favourites, but for the first time in a while I am not in complete disagreement with the winner. Denys was my next favourite and was definitely one of (if not the) best dancers on that stage. My only commentary that could be taken as a negative, is that I find it somewhat ironic that the winner of a SYTYCD Canada was not actually even born in Canada, nor have they lived, nor studied in Canada for very long. So truthfully, he barely represents this country, and yet he holds the title of "Canada's Favourite Dancer." Fortunately for him, we're a mosaic and welcome all nations into our country, onto our stages and into our contests. Denys is now $100, 000 richer (and it's tax-free, can't get that in the US) and is the proud owner of a... car.

As a conclusion I just need to mention Nico Archambault, season one winner of SYTYCD Canada, for no other reason than to basque in his talents, accent and face. And why not compare a video of the Season 3 winner dancing salsa versus Season One.

Denys with Amanda,

Nico with Arassay.

Who's performance do you prefer?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails