Oct 16, 2010

Fitness Friday: Relieving Tension

After a long day at work, and a commute home that felt like an eternity (thanks in part to the train stopping for 20 minutes, for reasons unknown to me), I really didn't see making my way to the gym for a full body weight session to be all that feasible; even though I brought my gym clothes to work. Not the best way to end your day, nor your work week-- in a foul mood. After an hour of recuperating and gathering my strength (ie. Drinking Red Bull), I put on my sports bra and runners, and heading downstairs to hop on the elliptical for 45 minutes and watch back to back episodes of She-Ra: Princess of Power. As you may have already guessed, it helped. My mood was restored to a more balanced level, as I noticed it continues to level out or raise significantly after a good workout, and I was in a generally better mood. The moral of my story? No matter how tired or sore from a long (15.5 hour) work day you may be, hitting the gym or doing some kind of physical activity really helps alleviate that stress and tension, and helps keep you fit all at the same time.

I need to remind myself of this daily, since I've been a very cranky girl lately, mostly because I don't feel like I have enough time to actually go to the gym and workout, but also thanks to early mornings and long commutes. But no matter how much time I feel like I don't have, I need to ensure I do something, anything, to release some of that pent up frustration and tension.

This week, I dusted off the cover of an old Muscle & Fitness Hers Magazine, from April 2003, and pulled out their featured full body workout. The routine calls for 3 full body workouts a week, along with 2 cardio sessions daily. Clearly, I'm unable to adhere to both cardio workouts thanks to my lack of time and lack of sleep, but I can certainly squeeze in one cardio session and follow all 3 unique body plans. Depending on the day I may be doing supersets, which involve doing one exercise for one body part, and immediately follow up with another set for an opposing body part. Example: Tricep dips, followed by preacher curls; Compound sets consist of following your first set immediately with another exercise that hits the same muscle group. Example: Push ups followed by a dumbbell flyes. The last full body routine is a high powered circuit, which only allows 25 seconds per move before moving to the next station, and aiming to complete 45 total reps by the end of the circuit. I'm clearly excited to try something new, and while I was in the zone to take on the unknown, I've begun reading Oxygen columnist, Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet Recharged! I have yet to full apply the principles of the first step of her plan, due to it restricting dairy and me not wanting to waste all my delicious goat, cottage, mozzarella and cream cheese, but I will. As soon as my dairy farm supply runs out!

4 comments:

  1. good read. i'm glad you got some cardio in! this weekend you are free of work too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. there is nothing sexy about the chicks used in the post though. yhuuuck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you And thank you- the weekends really are my favourite (and the best) time to push through as much as possible.. kind of making up for the week.

    And these "chicks" are very similar to some that I've seen recently on another site (esp the one in the middle), they're just in "Competition Mode" thus dehydrated and tanned, so that they're muscles really pop. Usually they'd be up to 10lbs heavier in off season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With that said, they weren't chosen to be "sexy" but to be inspiration for their hard work and dedication-- cuz it takes those two and more to look like that!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails