Sep 13, 2010

MTV Video Music Awards Standouts

Sunday night I had tweeted..err twitterred...tweeterrred? I have no idea the semantics, but I took to Twitter about one of the first fashion standouts I had spotted on the white carpet, and after the show ended Katy Perry is still on top. Her black and white sequin embroidered one-shoulder Marchesa mini is one part Marchesa lace, one part figure skating and one part Bjork's swan dress, and all parts fabulous.

An obvious standout, who I often chose not to mention for various shtick reasons, is Lady Gaga, however her Alexander McQueen gown was truly a piece of walking art. The volume added by the tulle underlay increased the drama factor, and really aided in making this a regal fashion statement. The only item I would reconsider, are her Alexander McQueen Spring 2010 armadillo hooves, but I do understand why she wore them; since they were one of the most memorable parts of the video in which she was nominated, "Bad Romance", and I'm sure as an additional homage to the designer

First off, I was impressed with Florence + the Machine, ever since I saw her take home the Brit Award for Critic's Choice for her 2009 debut album Lungs, that impression was increased after Sunday night's performance (and that performance dress was sublime). Now let's take about her white carpet gown, one of my favourites of the evening, Florence Welch wore gold lace Givenchy Fall 2010 Couture collection. It's beautiful enough to have walked the Oscar's carpet but the zipper front adds that bit of edge and makes her standout against the music crowd.

When I first saw Selena Gomez during the white carpet presentation, I wasn't entirely sure what I thought of her look. I love metallic lame, it's rare such a bold fabric is lost on me, and yet I felt it may have been a bit too "mature" for her. Then I wondered if maybe I'm just a bit of a prude and it's the perfect fun yet sophisticated gown for a young adult to wear... In the end, I decided that I am indeed a fan of her Reem Acra Resort 2011 strapless dress, especially once I looked at this photo and noticed the bejewelled trim of her bustier, it is this small detail that adds that fun and youthful spirit to her gown. I also love her silver Sergio Rossi pumps, and completely understand why she's going out of her way to show them off!

Oh Ke$ha, Ke$ha, Ke$ha, only you could take a garbage bag from Home Depot and make it look good...mostly because you're the only one who would actually think of doing so, and definitely because you are the only one who would actually wear it, and for that, I applaud you.

Eva Pigford/Marcille (the name change was probably a good thing, but perhaps done a little late, since I continue to refer to are as the former), really surprised me with her sequined and feathered Falguni and Shane Peacock mini. It was a superb choice for the occasion and she paired it with the perfect metallic blue pump, which added to the overall look, but did not detract from the intricate (busy?) dress.

Another surprise was Hills alum Stephanie Pratt, normally you'd find her (and Heidi and Audrina) in something short and tight a la Hervé Léger bandage dress, especially at an event like this, but Lo and behold (minor pun intended), Steph opted for a long, even shapeless, but no less lovely, beaded Nicole Miller gown. It reminds me of something Nicole Richie would wear, bohemian yet chic. I'm a fan, although I'm not sure how it would look on my curves but its quite flattering on Stephanie's otherwise boyish frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails