Mar 5, 2010

Going to the Movies: Alice in Wonderland!

So as the true Alice nerd that I am, I painted on my OPI Alice in Wonderland Collection nail polish in Mad as a Hatter, pulled out my Urban Decay Alice in Wonderland Book of Shadows & put on my makeup*, slipped on my Swarovski Flower Garden Necklace*, and headed to the first viewing of the film in the am. I woke up early, specifically for this movie! And for those that are curious, and curiouser, I was not disappointed. I will most certainly go again before the weekend ends. (Okay that may be untrue, since I'm going out Saturday night, and then it's a count down to the Oscar's on Sunday! But I'm sure I'll make it to the theatre again before Tuesday).

*Not really, but both items are on my wish list! The Urban Decay makeup is no longer available presently, at least online. And the Flower Garden Necklace is over $400, so it's unlikely a certain someone will pick it up for me, but there are a few pendants I saw on the Swarovski website, I would adore to wear! Including the Cheshire Cat pendant, Sparrow pendant, Tea Party White Rabbit pendant, Flower Garden pendant (single pendant instead of an intricate necklace) among others.

Other AiW inspired collections include a clothing collaboration with Avril Lavigne's Abbey Dawn line available at Kohl's, Paul & Joe's Alice In Wonderland Limited Edition blotting paper tins and Lip Treatments. Stella McCartney also designed a jewelry line inspired by the film, shown below.

Paul and Joe lip treatment in Milky Pink & Sheer Orange

Stella McCartney's gold brass chain with plexi charms necklace & matching bracelet.

I've decided I'm going to make it a month of Alice, so I picked up a copy of Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland at the Chapter's next door once the movie had ended. And I've already decided what mine and Mr. Vegas' Hallowe'en costumes will be! As for my rating of the flick, it was great, as said, although I did expect more special effects, especially since they were really pushing the 3D-ness. The story is new, and picks up ten years after her first visit to Underland, although throughout her youth she always thought of it as a bad dream. Alice is summoned (more or less) by the White Rabbit to return to Underland to help defeat the Red Queen's Jabberwocky so that the White Queen may retrieve her throne. Anne Hathaway played her role quite brilliantly, floating and twittering about, seeming both the perfect lady, and completely kooky; Mia Wasikowska was very lovable as Alice and was able to capture the childlike qualities we still expect from a grown-up Alice; Helena Bonham Carter truly became her character making you forget that this bulbous-headed woman isn't actually a real person; The standout character is an obvious one, Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter. The talent that man possesses and how he can completely give in to his character is inspiring, after the film (and picking up my book) I began thinking of how important Mr. Depp is to our society, and couldn't imagine a day he wasn't around the corner prepared to take on a new face, new personality, in order to entertain us. He's akin to God. There, I said it. Can't take it back now.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Raoul Duke, Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails