Music Monday's are upon us, and V-day has just passed, so naturally I've compiled a list of my favourite love songs from the past year.
5. Ke$ha - Dirty Picture
It's not a song I was introduced to until 2010, but I feel it belongs in this list, since I've listened to it repeatedly, and it adds a nice cheeky factor to such a normally cheesy day.
4. Gwen Stefani - Now That You Got It
Gwen speaks the truth as she sings, "Now that I'm your baby, the things you promised me now I want. Now that you've got it, whatchu gonna do 'bout it...If I'm really your baby, then share with me your secrets and thoughts." Yes! Do not tire yourself chasing a girl, stop making promises about love, and not deliver!
3. Kings of Leon - Sex on Fire
Although I often joke about this song referring to the burning sensation of VD or another similar STD, it's a hot song that's fun to sing and dance around to. "Yeahhh your sex is on fire!"
2. Queens of the Stone Age - Make it Wit Chu
This was a favourite of both 2008 and 2009, and will probably continue to be in 2010 and beyond, Joshua Homme's voice is ridiculously sexy... It's just one of those songs that are guaranteed to get me in the mood.
1. Pink - Please, Don't Leave Me
This is a bit more of a breakup song, in fact the whole album is a roller coaster of falling in and out of love, but the sentiments Pink sings are real, and very relatable.
There were certainly some other notable or honourable mentions, such as MGMT's entire Oracular Spectacular album, Taylor Swift's Love Story, Lily Allen's Not Fair, 88-Keys The Friend Zone, Kid Rock's Half Your Age, Matt Nathanson's Come on Get Higher, and Sugarland's Love, We Run, and more. But I wanted to keep the list short, instead of scouring for the song's of the heart I listened to most. Although I may always revise it, doubtful, but I may!
Also for those interested, MTV made a list of their own:
10. Jonas Brothers - "Lovebug"This is about the only "lovebug" we ever want to catch. Let's leave it at that ...9. Alicia Keys - "No One"In this soulful song, Alicia belts out her emotions so we don't have to.8. The Postal Service - "Such Great Heights"Despite never uttering those three magic words, this 2003 hit puts us on cloud nine.7. Jason Mraz (featuring Colbie Caillat) - "Lucky"This duet is bound to make the wedding-day rounds. Still, the old-timey lyrics are cute.6. Miley Cyrus - "7 Things"This isn't a typo. This certainly isn't a typical love song, considering that Miley sings about hating someone. But listen a little closer, and you'll see the teen queen taps into the heart of a relationship — the bad that also comes with the good.5. Beyoncé - "Crazy in Love"Ms. Sasha Fierce escorts us over the edge of love and back again in her 2003 smash single. Uh-oh!4. Taylor Swift - "Love Story"With the sweet melody and fairy-tale references, this teen songstress gives us hope there will be a castle and a lover in a low-cut top in all our futures. Give in and "say yes" to Taylor's catchy chorus.3. Gym Class Heroes - "Cupid's Chokehold"Travis McCoy joins forces with Fall Out Boy's Patrick Stump to talk pancakes, secret handshakes and other shared moments with a string of girls. You gotta love a guy (and a song) with a sense of humor.2. U2 - "With or Without You"After all these years, Bono still melts our hearts. This 1987 classic addresses the question: What the hell would I do without you? That never gets old.1. Justin Timberlake - "My Love"With the help of Timbaland and T.I., Justin Timberlake nabs the top spot with his 2006 hit. JT redefines the concept of the love song, proving it can belong in both the club and next to a roaring fireplace.