Jan 18, 2010

67th Golden Globe Awards: Trend of the Night

Awards season continued in full swing last night with the 67th annual Golden Globe Awards, hosted by the very funny Ricky Gervais. There were a couple trends to be noticed, most importantly many of the evening's nominees and presenters were sporting "Remember Haiti" ribbons, and there were a few breaks a reminders throughout the ceremony to help out the devastated country. Being as this is a celebrity awards show however, the remaining trends of the evening were a little more superficial. The trend I noticed most were pale pinks, nudes and flesh-toned gowns, and who better to kick off the evening of nudes than the queen of flesh herself;

Nicole Kidman, as per expected wore a peach satin Nina Ricci dress, that shockingly didn't completely wash her out. The first presenter of the evening worked a retro vibe with the dropped waist of her gown, that gathered with numerous bows. I almost like it, if only one or two bows would be removed.

Felicity Huffman arrived at the awards in one of my favourite dresses of the evening, a flowy pale peach gown with a crystal embellished halter, she looks amazing.

Christina Hendricks is a woman who knows how to show off her curves, but there's something about her Christian Siriano gown that's just too southern-bellesque. Although I want to embrace it, mostly because it has a Peaches and Cream Barbie feel, the ruffles and her lopsided boobs are throwing me off.

Elisabetta Canalis canoodled with her arm candy on one side and an armband tattoo!? on the other, in a pale pink Roberto Cavalli gown with caging detail at the waist, another one of my favourites of the evening.

The Young Victoria nominee looked lovely in her pink tulle and chiffon Dolce & Gabbana gown, it could not have fit Emily Blunt better and I love the ruffling detail working throughout the gown, as if it the entire thing was one piece of fabric that was merely draped over her.

My first glimpse of Drew Barrymore was during the show while she was seated at her table, so I could naturally only see her from the shoulders up, and all I was wondering was "Whatcha wearing Drew Barrymore? Tinsel?" I finally got to view the Atelier Versace dress in its entirety when she awkwardly accepted her award for Grey Gardens (which I loved, both the movie and her humble awkwardness), and I was shocked at how much I actually liked the nude crystallized gown, even with the clusters glass fringes on her shoulder and opposing hip.

Maggie Gyllenhaal wore a pale peach, RM by Roland Mouret mermaid gown, that luckily followed the origami trend of last year, otherwise I'm quite certain I would have found it boring.

I have never been happier to see Christina Aguilera than I was last night as she presented with her Burlesque costar Cher. Her peach chiffon Versace gown with a metallic bodice was exactly the kind of dress I want to see from an oversexed pop star.

Vying for the Jennifer Aniston award, Jennifer Garner on the other hand bored me with her asymmetrical beaded Atelier Versace gown with a grey tint. Hey Donatella, you win some, you lose some.

Although their colour choices were similar, Chloe Sevigny definitely did not bore with a taupe chiffon Valentino gown. I appreciate the unexpected frills down the side, however I believe I would have preferred it if it stopped there, and removed the all the excess along the neckline, and kept the understated sex appeal of her bare shoulders.

Jenna Fischer has a tendency to look dowdy, and she walked a fine line last night in Halston’s Spring 2010 dress. Another gown that reminds me of Jennifer Aniston, which is never a good thing.

Even Miss Golden Globe herself, Mavis Spencer opted for a pale pink, her mother on the other hand followed her own trend of the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails