Sep 9, 2009

Spine to Spine: Life of Pi & The Te of Piglet

My original reading goal was to finish one book a month, no problem right? Apparently I was wrong. With the onset of summer I completely abandoned my Spine to Spine personal quota. I finished Benjamin Hoff's Te of Piglet as my May read (although I never took to TMP to rave about it, just as The Tao of Pooh, it was great, and worth multiple reads throughout life). After completing Te of Piglet, I picked up Yann Martel's Life of Pi for my June read, still in search of inspiring uplifting novels, such as Te and The Alchemist, something to help me figure out my life. So I admit I judged this book by its cover,

I saw the tiger, the waves, the font, the colours and thought "This looks like it'll be philosophical, and uplifting." Not to say it wasn't inspiring or possessing philosophical symbolism throughout, it was, but what I was expecting was not at all what I got.

The first half of the story, depicting young Piscine's (Pi) life in Pondicherry, India, the son of a Zoo proprietor with an insatiable appetite for religions, Muslim, Christian and Hindu was interesting, but slow. The pace changed from the first sentence of the second part, once his father had decided to sell the zoo and its animals and move his family to Winnipeg. Their cargo ship sunk and a young Pi was stranded on a lifeboat with a hyena, orangutan, zebra and a tiger named Richard Parker (Edgar Allen Poe reference, I'm sure). It's a captivating tale that even with such extraordinary circumstances is told in such a plausible way... yes I was duped and believed this was a true tale. If only everyone else who starts this book could be as a lucky

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails