Sep 2, 2009

Remembering DJ AM


After hearing about DJ AM's death this past Friday, August 28th, I can't help but wonder how it's affected people who were actually a part of his life. Media society has a tendency to sensationalize celebrity deaths to the point that they begin to feel as though it were a tragic plot in a movie, but the truth is these recently deceased celebrities were real people with friends and family, all of whom were left in the wake. I admit to checking Nicole Richie's Twitter page randomly to see if she's made any updates of her feelings, understandably, she hasn't. According to sources she's been under medical care since she found out, claiming that she felt as if her heart had stopped upon hearing the news. That's real, and heartbreaking.

Travis Barker, AM's friend and survival companion, did take to Twitter to express his feelings on the tragedy, "My brother is gone. I love u and miss u, I'll never forget all the good times we had. Rest in peace, my brother. This really fucks me up." Imagine experiencing a plane crash, suffering second and third-degree burns after a Learjet you're on catches fire, people die, but you and you're friend are lucky to survive, and less than one year later, that friend is found faced down on the floor, surrounded by pain pills? Pain pills that he no-doubt, starting taking due to said plane crash, which appeared to have led the former addict back into a drug abusing state. I agree Travis, that would really fuck somebody up.

DJ AM's memorial takes place tomorrow at the Hollywood Palladium, and will resemble an open 12 step meeting according to the invitation. It encourages both his friends from his life in recovery, as well as those from other areas of his life to attend. I suppose this will make up for AM's intervention-style reality show he was working on with MTV, based on his experiences overcoming addiction and being 10 years sober as well as surviving the plane crash, that never came to fruition. "I have another chance...So I have to do something better with my life this time." He said in July, explaining his decision to do the show.

2 comments:

  1. Really your post is really very good and I appreciate it. It’s hard to sort the good from the bad sometimes, You write very well which is amazing. I really impressed by your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that the information here was the most complete that I found anywhere. I am definitely bookmarking this to come back and read later.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails