Mar 23, 2009

St. Patrick's Day

Although I do not drink beer, being of Irish descent I look forward to celebrating St. Paddy's Day; even if that means watching other people drink their green beer, possibly while sipping on a martini- if I can think of a green one that's not Sour Apple, that would be superb. This St. Paddy's day I decided I wanted to celebrate in Las Vegas, seriously when you think about it, what could be more fun, besides flying out to Belfast? Unfortunately my plans didn't quite follow through the way I had originally intended. Instead of landing in Vegas the day before St. Patrick's day, thus allowing me plenty of time to settle in and follow it up with a night on the town, the US Airways flight I had intended on purchasing went up 300$ in an hour! The next available flight within my price range was the following day (St. Pat's), and my ride to the airport wanted to spend the day shopping so I couldn't take an early morning flight.

My St. Patrick's day was spent "shopping"- or in my case looking at items I couldn't afford presently, driving to the airport, almost missing the baggage cut-off time, and on a plane. The longest "short" plane ride I have ever experienced! We flew from Buffalo to Philly, then Philly to Vegas, and that Philly to Vegas flight was teetering on unbearable. I did make the most of it however, and chatted to as many people as I could stand, read numerous chapters from this months Spine to Spine, watched an episode of 90210 (which inspired my new haircut) and Californication, read an entire magazine, and did stretches while walking up and down the aisle.

Once off that goddamn plane, Mr. Vegas was there to pick me up, hand me my "Irish Princess" tiara and whisk me away to Yardhouse at Town Square, where we took advantage of their awesome Late Night Happy Hour. Half priced appetizers which includes a delicious (and personal favourite) Seared Ahi Sashimi, Calamari, and Ham & Pineapple Pizza (a Mr. Vegas favourite), along with $5.75 Martinis (Strawberry Fields), and $3.50 Pints- Yardhouse boasts to have one of the largest selections of beer on tap, yet no Corona, much to Mr. Vegas' dismay.

I had a good time and even got a St. Patrick's Day cupcake or two, and was definitely grateful to be back in this city, but after all that travel and still being on East Coast time, I didn't have a chance to make my St. Paddy's day all that I had hoped... drunken stumbling along the strip, coughing up green margarita's from Fat Tuesday's, but I guess that's a good thing.

2 comments:

  1. Why would you fly to Belfast? It's a Republican holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belfast, Dublin, Australian... wherever! I just want to fly!!! (Either that or Im somewhat ignorant to my grandparents culture)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails