Mar 11, 2009

Oscar's Fashion:
The "Meh," The Fab & The WTF?!?!

So back to the Oscar's, I realize that this ongoing post has almost mirrored the often unbearable length of the Oscar's themselves, and yet I make no apologies, except maybe to myself. And the show must go on. I really appreciated the 5 historic former Oscars winners presenting the awards, plus it gave me a chance to see some non-winner's gowns in full on stage, like Halle Berry whose dress was disappointing (then again I'm one of the few that did not fawn over her 2002 Oscar gown), Nicole Kidman looked good from afar and then rather.. interesting with all those feathers in her face, at the time I was torn...which ironically could describe her dress, torn feathers, and Marion Cotillard's ballgown that I despised looked rather grand on stage, I still despise it, I'm just saying seeing the gowns on stage could show them in a new light.

Speaking of being on stage, the rumors were true, Anne Hathaway was in the opening number. And although her performance dress was rather fugly, her skit/musical number with Hugh Jackman was HILARIOUS! And shockingly, she can sing. Well done. 

Her vocals weren't the only thing I considered well done, Anne Hathaway wore a Giorgio Armani, mermaid silhouette dress, which admittedly was not great at first glance, I was even disappointed a little when I saw her exiting her car, I had high expectations. Very glittery but, still lacking the drama I was seeking from her. Then I saw a closer shot and began to find the dress interesting, and noticed for the first time that it was covered in pailettes, like fish scales, reminiscent of Marion Cotillard's previous Oscar gown. And now that I've seen a photo of it, and can really scrutinize, it's official- It's FABULOUS! She continues to reign with her fashion choices; best breakup "Take That" ever! Anniston take note.

There's been a few metallic gowns seen on the red carpet (Megan Fox at the Golden Globes; Emily Blunt at the SAGs), Leslie Mann has achieved the look of a wearable disco ball best, in this a cap sleeve Pamella Roland gown with plunging v-neck. Gorgeous, and she inspires me to turn on some cheesy tunes and dance around her.

Could Taraji P Henson look anymore fabulous than she does in this cream Roberto Cavalli? Besides her slip up of showing off her spanx when she pulled her dress up a bit too high during her interview with Ryan Seacrest, the answer is no! She looked like a dream, a dream in cream and floating on a cloud. I'd like to state that I've met her, and she's even more gorgeous in person, I mean unbelievably stunning.

Tilda Swinton is quite simply too much fab for her own good. She may make some often kooky fashion choices but I understand why she's been targeted as Victor & Rolf's muse, she wears looks straight off the runway better than some models, granted I've been enamoured with her since viewing Orlando, but I stand by my decision.

Marisa Tomei's Versace gown was unexpected and unique and simply divine. The folding was somewhat cocktail-napkin reminiscent, and followed this recent origami trend, similar to Heidi Klum's unsuccessful gown [as Jay Manuel pointed out], and yet somehow love it. A friend of mine believed it was "half interesting, but too ornamental...women should be able to move, being half paralyzed by a dress is not appealing." And she has a great point,  and normally I think I'd agree, but she stood so stunningly! 


Speaking of napkins, Jessica "towel-dispenser" Biel was all wrong in a white Prada shapeless satin sack. Her accessorizing wasn't any better! Her hair was a greasy, disheveled mess and not in the "I was getting amorous with JT in the limo" sort of way. And her shoes! Her SHOES! Horribly clunky, closed-toed black shoes. She should have just worn her Vanity Fair Party dress instead, at least that was somewhat flattering.

Moving on with the WTF?!?! category, WTF?!?! was Beyoncé thinking wearing her sofa? 

I did think her simple makeup and ponytail were a great choice though, I'm sure it's not easy complimenting a gown made from the same cloth as the Queen's furniture.

Beautiful Frieda Pinto, it pains me to put you in this category, and due to my enchantment of your face I was gonna slip you into the "Meh" group, but then I'd be lying to us both. This John Galliano style didn't work on Drew Barrymore, and it's even worse on you. While the colour is great on you, the lace single sleeve and beading are aging. I'm just gonna say it: I hate this. It's hideous. Moving on. 

I was originally happy to see Penelope Cruz in something non-black, and it's Vintage Balmain! I'm a sucker for a full skirt, and found the chiffon draping dreamy and somewhat heavenly, it was obvious from the close-up on the red carpet that the bodice possessed some amazing detail. I really liked the back, but then began to fell the strapless cream ballgown was too much wedding from the front. When Penelope won for best actress, I was enjoying her dress much more up on stage, but again I had a conversation with a friend and re-realized she really did look like a bride...

Then I saw this picture and I've decided that I love it again. Just look at that chiffon overlay and the detail at the hem. Call me fickle if you want, besides a love a great bridal gown.

Kate Winslet may have taken a risk in a Atelier Yves Saint Laurent by Stefano Pilati asymmetric evening gown, which I always admire. This risk just did not pay off for me in the end, although I'd be interested in seeing more gun-metal gowns in the future, but this is "Meh" overall.

Angelina Jolie changed her dress! Rejoice! Her Elie Saab black dress is fitted, gathered, and is even showing a sheer bit of leg, just the way we like her. But honestly, the sweetheart neckline is nothing new, the dress is simply black, and while yes she's finally showing off her frame, there is really nothing truly groundbreaking. In fact it's an odd mix between a red (fitted) dress I wore to a wedding (or two), and the Vintage Hermès she wore to the 2008 SAG awards.

Her 115 carat Lorraine Schwartz Colombian emerald drop earrings were a stunning pairing with the minimal gown and makeup; akin to her "pairing" with Brad Pitt, they really are a stunningly gorgeous couple. It's not natural, but I digress...My girlfriend best described her ring, "It looked like it came from a gumball machine....or the ring in the Bagelfuls commercial." 

Closing up the "Meh" trio is Rodarte wearing Natalie Portman. Yes her pink chiffon dress is pretty, but big deal! shes a pretty girl- it's not hard to do. She obviously looks gorgeous, but I found it exceptionally safe, something is lacking. Similar to my thoughts on Alicia Keys plum Giorgio Armani Privé chiffon gown, the colour looked great on both. Simple, safe, pretty dresses. Big fat "Meh."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails