Jan 26, 2009

SAG Awards Fashion

Awards season continues on, as does awards season's fashions, where designer get to showcase their latest overpriced gowns on attendees and nominees. You'd think that the SAG awards would perhaps be filled with more interesting and daring gowns than say the Golden Globs or Oscars, since this is the ceremony that's supposed to be for the actors from the actors, so why not showcase your true spirit. But that didn't seem to be the case last night, basically everyone looked "nice." There was very little gowns that I saw that were spectacular, and very few that were outrageous. How very disappointing. The gown itself may not be worthy of discussion, but sometimes the actress is. Angelina Jolie, for example:

Such a stunning woman. While I enjoy this colour on Angelina, her Max Azria dress however, wasn't really anything to get excited about. Why she's been wearing dresses that fold over, and even comes across looking like a senior citizen from afar, boggles my mind.

Brad Pitt's face is the best part of this picture, such pride and adoration, I love it.

Evan Rachel Wood, has actually excited me! She's not in all black, she's no longer channeling Dita Von Teese, her makeup is [slightly] more age appropriate and doesn't look like it belongs on Cher, 

and I absolutely love her shoes! The more I look at this picture, the more appreciative I am of Evan Rachel Woods. The contrast of her Monique Lhuillier gown and hair colour is sublime, not your usual Marcia Cross/forest green combo that's often seen. Not that there's anything wrong with that, perhaps I have a soft spot for redheads.

Let's thank the gods that Christina Hendricks has finally decided NOT to wear satin! Let's face sometimes painful truths, curves and satin are rarely friendly, which means they're rarely flattering.  This Carolina Herrera georgette gown hugs and flattens in all the right areas. I could do without some of the ruffling, but I'll take what I'm given.

Amy Adams, Amy Adams! Why are you obsessed with giant bows that look like infections? 

Also, that stark hair and lip colour! You're fabulous, I enjoy you tremendously (enough to have finally watched Enchanted, twice in a row). You've looked better, I can't recall when, but I know that you have.

Holly Hunter decided the SAG awards should be a themed ceremony:

Behold her portrayal (in Reem Acra) of an 80's Prom.

Teri Hatcher wore a white Monique Lhuillier gown, nothing against her, but she doesn't have the power, frame, or attitude to pull it off;

On her, I dislike it, granted I dislike Teri Hatcher in general, but this dramatic gown overwhelms her diminutive persona. But on a real star, a true fashionista, a slight diva- I 100% believe I'd love it; if Marcia Cross would ever wear white, she'd be more successful in this. Throw it on Gwyneth Paltrow, she can pull off a ball gown, and has been wearing a lot of white lately. Or perhaps even Amy Adams could pull it off, I suggest a switch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails