Jan 20, 2009

Inauguration Day! Barack Obama's Speech & Video

Being the original girl that I am, I spent my morning (that I am thankful Mr. Vegas woke me up for) watching the 44th President being sworn into office. And although I am not a United States citizen or even a resident anymore, I was truly moved by the emotions that President Barack Obama inspires in most of his listeners. While listening to his words, I finally felt that our generation is about to witness a change, whatever that change may be- an important part of history is being made, starting today. The following are a few chosen excerpts from President Obama's inauguration speech made today, along with a video of Obama taking the oath and his full address:

"That we are in the midst of crisis is now well understood. Our nation is at war, against a far-reaching network of violence and hatred. Our economy is badly weakened, a consequence of greed and irresponsibility on the part of some, but also our collective failure to make hard choices and prepare the nation for a new age.

"Homes have been lost; jobs shed; businesses shuttered. Our health care is too costly; our schools fail too many; and each day brings further evidence that the ways we use energy strengthen our adversaries and threaten our planet.

"These are the indicators of crisis, subject to data and statistics. Less measurable but no less profound is a sapping of confidence across our land - a nagging fear that America's decline is inevitable, and that the next generation must lower its sights.

"Today I say to you that the challenges we face are real. They are serious and they are many. They will not be met easily or in a short span of time. But know this, America - they will be met.

"On this day, we gather because we have chosen hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord. On this day, we come to proclaim an end to the petty grievances and false promises, the recriminations and worn out dogmas, that for far too long have strangled our politics.

"Starting today, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and begin again the work of remaking America. For everywhere we look, there is work to be done. The state of the economy calls for action, bold and swift, and we will act - not only to create new jobs, but to lay a new foundation for growth. We will build the roads and bridges, the electric grids and digital lines that feed our commerce and bind us together.

"We will restore science to its rightful place, and wield technology's wonders to raise health care's quality and lower its cost. We will harness the sun and the winds and the soil to fuel our cars and run our factories. And we will transform our schools and colleges and universities to meet the demands of a new age. All this we can do. And all this we will do.

"Now, there are some who question the scale of our ambitions - who suggest that our system cannot tolerate too many big plans. Their memories are short.

"For they have forgotten what this country has already done; what free men and women can achieve when imagination is joined to common purpose, and necessity to courage.

I sent Mr. Vegas the full speech, which can be read at his site, 2DopeBoyz.com. At this point, I'm not sure it really matters what Obie does next, I think what the U.S. really needed was someone to encourage hope instead of induce fear, to remind them of the choices they make and that they are responsible for their present and their future. I wonder if the "Terror-Meter" will be renamed to "Meter of Hope."  Here's hoping (see what I did there?)

I could continue to attempt an articulation of my emotions, but I'll let Jay-Z speak for me: 
My president is black/in fact he's half white/So even in a racist mind he's half right/So if you got a racist mind its alright/ My president is black but his house is all white/
Rosa Parks sat so Martin Luther can walk/Martin Luther walked so Barrack Obama can run/Barrack Obama ran so all the children can fly/so imma spread my wings YOU CAN MEET ME IN THE SKY/I already got my own clothes/I already got my own shoes/ I was hot before Barrack/Imagine what im gon do/
Hello Mrs.America/ Hey pretty lady/red white and blue flag/Wave for me baby/Never thought i say this shit baby im good/you can keep your puss/I dont want no more bush/No more war/No more iraq/no more white lies/My president is black!!!
Again, visit 2DB to see the live video of Jigga, Nas, and Young Jeezy perform My President is Black (rmx)

1 comment:

  1. My President is Black My state is BLUE!! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails